Cockroaches are adaptable, fast-breeding scavengers that will eat anything that humans do and quite a bit more including faecal matter and fermenting garbage. They are nocturnal at home in a dark, warm humid place including under the sink, in dishwashers, behind heating equipment, behind wallpaper, in kitchen cupboards and drawers, and in cracks and crevices.
Cockroaches can grow from a whopping 120mm to a tiny 10 mm. In Australia, we have around 400 cockroach species although only about 6 are considered household pests. These include:
- German Cockroach – Blatella Germanica
- American Cockroach – Periplaneta Americana
- Oriental Cockroach – Blatta Orientalis
- Australian Cockroach Periplaneta Australasiae
- Brown-banded Cockroach – Supella Longipalpa
- Smokey-brown Cockroach – Periplaneta Fuliginosa
There are things that the homeowner can do to reduce cockroach infestations and increase the effectiveness and longevity of ARK Pest control methods.
Remove food sources for the cockroach by removing stray food particles and employing good cleaning practices, especially in cracks and crevices. Keep food in sealed containers and keep bins covered.
Remove water or reduce damp, warm harbourages. Fix leaks and keep subfloor well ventilated.
Remove places of shelter. Seal cracks and crevices in kitchen and bathrooms and keep clutter to a minimum.
Wipe down kitchen counters regularly.
Empty pet food containers in the evening (cockroaches are more active in the night)
Vacuum regularly to keep crumbs to a minimum.
Why do I need cockroach control?
- Cockroaches spread a range of diseases including Salmonella, Staphylococcus, Streptococcus, and Polio Virus. They can be suspected carriers of Typhoid Fever, Gastroenteritis, Dysentery, Giardia, Listeriosis and Campylobacteriosis.
- They can be responsible for asthmatic reactions and cockroach “skin” or moult can cause allergic reactions like skin rashes, watery eyes, congested nasal passages and sneezing.
- They produce odorous secretions and can affect the flavour of food.
- Cockroaches are rapid breeders! A female German cockroach can produce 200 to 300 offspring a year.
- Potentially, one German and her offspring can produce up to 300,000 roaches a year.
Cockroach Treatment By ARK Pest Management
Any infestation demands immediate action, but heavy numbers require professional help. Due to the Illawarra’s climate being sub-tropical they can be a difficult pest to gain control of without professional help.
Non-chemical treatments include:
- Glue boards, Pheromone traps, Cryonite
Chemical treatments include:
- Sprays, Dusts, Insect Growth Regulators, Magnetic Insecticide dust and Gels
ARK pest technicians will assess the needs of your property and apply solutions to get the best results to effectively eradicate cockroaches at your property. Call us on 02 4271 7926